Monday 28 November 2011

GC, Day 28 - Ocean





We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came. --John F. Kennedy

As those of you who have kept up with my gratitude challenge know, there have been some pretty intense blog entries recently - so today, I thought I'd keep it simple - ish.

For as long as I can remember, I have been drawn to the sea - I loved our trips to Virginia Beach when I was young and have sought it ever since - though I have ended up as far as it is possible to be from the water on this island.

By the sea - and I am particularly fond of the ocean in winter - I find myself. I find peace, perspective and re-find my rhythm. I feel wrapped in its vastness, renewed in its depth, and a part returning to its whole.

And I am reminded that I am not one to walk cautiously along the shore, travelling by landmark:

I would not creep along the coast but steer out in mid-sea, by guidance of the stars. --George Eliot

2 comments:

LLM said...

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

- John Masefield

Although I've rarely lived near the ocean, I can't imagine not living near water, it is such a primal force.

Lesley Deysel said...

Ah yes. I'm very compulsive about the sea. When I see it I make a beeline - 90 degrees to the shore - and run into it, no matter the weather, state of clothing, whatever. And I'm not even that big on swimming the rest of the time. The sea is something else. The last free place on earth.