Friday 18 November 2011

GC, Day 18 - A free lunch

This week has been one where I am just beyond tired and cranky with humanity, though I've managed to keep up the gratitude challenge, even if I didn't start writing before 2300.

This weekend isn't much better, as I had a supervision today, a 90 minute Management Committee teleconference for my volunteer organisation, and a training day tomorrow (one I'm looking forward to, but it still means the loss of a lazy Saturday).

And to top it all off, next week is Paz's and Gosia's last week. Serious suckage.

Near the end of what had become a very intense group supervision, I felt my phone vibrate in my jacket pocket. It was only a few minutes before the end, so I waited till I walked out, thinking about what I was going to pick up for lunch.

As soon as I opened the message, I felt myself start to smile, and the spiky cynicism that had been at the surface all week start to ease.

It wasn't a message bringing life-changing happy news, or even a cute animal picture.

It was, quite simply, a text from Paz:

Hey I went to Cairo cafe and have looooadddsss left over so if you want it don't buy lunch!! It's moussaka and rice xx

A simple message of nurture and friendship. Clearly, there IS such a thing as a free lunch.

I went straight back to work and...guess what? Despite offering me half her lunch, Paz half-apologised for it being vegetarian.

*Affectionate eyeroll* P-doodle, it was fabulous. Thank you for taking care of me today, and most days.

And ja, I am going to miss you like hell, chick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the Cairo cafe from when I was in Oxford - I really liked it then, and from what you say, it seems it's still as good as it was (or better?)

I'm glad your free lunch came from a place with such a good 'food pedigree'...and the fact that it came with a good friend is even better...good karma...