Saturday 24 January 2009

Music - and advice - from the heart

The other day, my friend Janice's facebook status was "Janice is listening to Enigma at work :D".

Enigma. One of my absolute favourites, and one I hadn't listened to in years. "Sadeness", "Mea culpa" and the one that I sink into like a hot bath: "Return to Innocence".

This week, it made me think of friends who have placed themselves in boxes that are too small for them; places where they clearly don't belong. In some cases, I think, "What are you atoning for? What do you feel the need to pay for with the rest of your life, with your wholeness? Nothing is worth you destroying yourself in payment."

Instead, I offer my favourite Enigma song. Come home. Be whole. Forgive yourself. Know that you are loved no matter what...and that will be your return to yourself, the return to innocence.

And leave the box that is way too small for the person God meant you to be.

That's not the beginning of the end
That's the return to yourself
The return to innocence.

[Love - Devotion
Feeling - Emotion]

Love - Devotion
Feeling - Emotion

Don't be afraid to be weak
Don't be too proud to be strong
Just look into your heart my friend
That will be the return to yourself
The return to innocence.

If you want, then start to laugh
If you must, then start to cry
Be yourself don't hide
Just believe in destiny.

Don't care what people say
Just follow your own way
Don't give up and use the chance
To return to innocence.

That's not the beginning of the end
That's the return to yourself
The return to innocence.



2 comments:

CEAD said...

That has always been my favourite Enigma song too.

Ari.xx

Anonymous said...

Now if only the church would put that into practice...