Saturday 30 August 2008

I had a dream...

Last night, I had a dream about Barack Obama.

I dreamt he was walking across a podium to shake hands with Gordon Brown and dream me thought - ah, he's president. That shifted to meeting him at a bookstore, where I picked up something on John McCain (a diary? papers?), hugging it to my chest, and he looked over at me, because I'd made it clear that I was supporting him. I looked back at Obama and said, "You know what they say - hold your friends close, hold your enemies closer. Don't forget that." We had a laugh over that, and he went to leave.


"Mr Obama," I said, as he headed for the door (it looked like Borders in Oxford).

He turned round, slightly impatient, wanting to leave.

"Remember that," I continued. "and also remember - 'Be wise as a serpent...'"

He replied, somewhat impatiently, "I know, I know..."

I *think* he was going to continue, but then I woke up. (possibly with 'harmless as a dove'?)

From the surreal to the real, here is Obama's acceptance speech from the Democratic National Convention. No, he didn't go as far as I would have liked him to on some issues, but I understand why. Let's get him in the White House first. His understanding of the balance between individual and mutual responsibility is a breath of fresh air, as is his refusal to mudsling at McCain. He can leave that to me.


No comments: