Thursday, 28 September 2006

Seeing the gospel everywhere...

This morning, as I was walking into work, I saw this lovely, big, black dog with a grey muzzle walking behind its owners, head down, tongue out, looking as if it was thinking, "Ok, I've done my business, can we go home now? If I weren't attached to that leash, I'd just lie down right here and wait for the sun to reach me. Oh no, am I turning into a ... *CAT*?"

Leaving aside the dog's possible identity crisis, you could just imagine that about 7 or 8 years ago, this same dog probably grabbed the leash off of the 7 foot high hook it hung from and ran to give it to its owner: "Come on, come on, let's go," then promptly dragged said owner around Oxford on a lightning tour of all the colleges. During this mental picture, an irreverent thought (do I have any other kinds?) popped into my head...there's a gospel passage here:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go
." (John 21:18, RSV)

See? The gospel applies to everything.

I'm not going to say it, I'm not going to say it...

I gotta say it.

Life's a bitch.

2 comments:

Jacquetta said...

...and then you die.

Anonymous said...

You could also compare the dog to some people in religious life. Or perhaps that is too morbid???

Or what about the consequences of a vow of obedience... all in the name of God's mercy and yours, Of Course!