Sunday 6 April 2008

The ping-pong song

It's Jacquetta's fault. She got me addicted.

The 'ping-pong' song is the nickname of a song by Enrique Iglesias - 'Dimelo' (Tell it to me) in Spanish or 'Do you know' in English. It's called that because of the ping pong ball used for percussion. The video is hysterical, a parody of a video director's thinking process, with (bleeped out or not) Enrique saying to his manager, "Ese cabrón está loco
" (cabrón technically means 'male goat', but its slang meaning is much more useful/colourful: "f***er" or "a**hole").

It's catchy, it's cheeky, and to quote Jacquetta: get ready to shake that booty... :)

As usual, I preferred the Spanish version. The Spanish chorus goes:

"Dímelo, por que estas fuera de mi

Y al mismo tiempo estas muy dentro
Dimelo, dimelo, dimelo
Dímelo sin hablar y hazme sentir todo
Lo que yo ya siento
Dimelo, dimelo, dimelo"

Rough translation:

Tell me why you're so far outside (distant, if you like) me,
at the same time you're such a part of me (I was NOT going to use 'inside me'. NOT.)
Tell me, tell me, tell me
Tell me without speaking and make me feel everything
that I already feel
Tell me, tell me, tell me.

Now, the English chorus:

"Do you know what it feels like loving someone that’s in a rush to throw you away.

Do you know what it feels like to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed."

I'm not one for insisting that translations be exactly the same as the original - it's impossible to fit the words to the music. But is it too much to ask that they at least be as interesting?

Ok, yeah, this is a pop song. It is Enrique. 'Interesting' is relative. But honestly, you'd think that songwriters could do a bit better.

Or maybe not.


No comments: