Thursday 6 November 2008

Tom Toles does it again...

Even when I was young, I used to flip to the op-ed pages at the back of the ONLY Washington paper ;), the Washington Post. I'd have read the 3 pages of comics and Ann Landers, then I'd flip back to the political cartoons and read the letters to the editor.

Tom Toles, with his distinctive drawing style, was always my favourite - and yes, he did appear in the WaPo years ago when they would do collections of political cartoons. His simple style always made his point more powerful; he never had to use many words. I often found myself inhaling sharply at the impact.

Today, Shaker Bob mentioned Tom Toles had a wonderful cartoon summing up the election result...

...the election result that has made me a waterworks for the last two days. You'd think I had the world's worst case of PMT.

And Tom just started me off again with this:


"...
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it."

It took us eight years, but Yes. We. Did.

America, I am so proud of you. And once again, I am so proud to be ONE of you.

Thank you. Now excuse me whilst I go renew my passport.

1 comment:

CEAD said...

Brilliant - thank you for posting this. I'd never have found it otherwise.

You're not the only one spouting waterworks... I swear, I'm turning into a fountain. *sniff*

I have never, ever felt proud to be American. Not once. Until now.

Ari.xx