Sunday 9 November 2008

Rahmbama II

Should you need further proof of the fact that Barack Obama and Rahm Emanuel will make a perfect team, watch this. Note the deep affection in Obama's roasting of Emanuel.

Even more importantly, *watch Rahm Emanuel really laugh at himself*. This pitbull with brass balls who sends Republicans into fits of rage is sitting at this no-punches-pulled roast *really laughing at himself*.

George W. Bush never could.

And if that doesn't say it all, let me explain.

Having extricated myself from a relationship with a wounded, manipulative man who ripped my heart out, threw it on the floor and did a rain dance on it, I am painfully aware of the early warning sign I missed: he could laugh at everyone/everything else but himself. Even gentle teasing was met with a jab, or a tightening of the atmosphere that was only relieved by my walking on eggshells and stroking his ego.

I should have known - my father was exactly the same. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

But I won't make the same mistake again: that ability is one of the first things I note about my friends (especially men) now, and it *must* be present before I trust. Most recently, I told a friend, "Oh. my. god. You were *such* a prick!" when he told me what he had been like about a decade ago. Head in hand, he laughed sheepishly and said, "You're right."

Now that's what I call passing with flying colours.

Being able to laugh at yourself is a sign of a healthy ego, self-awareness, the potential for growth. It is closely tied to the ability to accept criticism. It is an essential component of a healthy personality. If you find it hard, work at it.

Trust me, it will transform your life - in the best way possible.

And now, back to Rahmbama. Enjoy the sight of Rahm Emanuel laughing his head off as Barack Obama thoroughly roasts him, then sticks the fork in.



I can hear the laughter from the Oval Office now. Heaven knows, we could use it almost more than anything else...after all, it is the best medicine.

Let the healing begin.

No comments: