Sunday 8 November 2009

On synchronicity and finding answers

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, when the World and Time themselves hang in the balance, a wind rises in the mountains of mist...What was, and what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. --Robert Jordan

As anyone who has known me for any length of time knows, I'm a Jungian, and so synchronicity is an important part of my conceptual framework. For a working definition:

"Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner."

So, for example, a priest, my boss at work and a good friend talking about Darth Vader (sans prompting from me, of course) might qualify as a synchronicity, though I'd probably shake my head and laugh rather than cogitate on the Dark One's (not you Richard, m'dear) presence in my conversations.

However, I've been noticing them a lot more since my friend Jenna had me start keeping a synchronicity journal.

In contrast to Darth Vader, a conversation with a friend where we both discovered that we had details for Dignitas, a discussion about a news item re: suicide b/c of the fear of physical deterioration, and completely randomly turning over to a 'Without a Trace' episode about - you guessed it, assisted suicide - make up a trio that makes me sit up and notice.

That, to me, is a synchronicity - for some reason, I look for sets of 3. More often than not, they hold important keys for me. I just need to find the doors.

Yesterday, I wondered if I'd found the first 2 parts of another synchronicity. A book that crossed my desk for cataloguing had a passage discussing judo and doing the unexpected. The author used the example of being a woman and facing down a rugby international. If she pushed, he'd push back harder, and he'd win. But *what if she pulled him towards her, using his momentum, and then moved her foot to the side*? Who hit the ground then?

I sat up and paid attention.

On its own, it would have been thought-provoking enough. But later, as I popped into Borders before going off to meet Br Martin at 7 for dinner, I couldn't resist picking up the latest volume from the "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan, an old favourite that I left when it hit Book 4 with no end in sight. Wonderful depth of characterisation, a complete universe, but I couldn't continue ad infinitum.

I thought I'd look in the glossary to see if my suspicion about my favourite character, Moiraine Damodred, was true. Could it be that she hadn't died falling through the ter'angreal with Lanfear, a Forsaken?

What I read made me smile. It seemed likely that after an interminable absence, Moiraine might yet be back. Even better was a copy of her letter to another character I had yet to read; it reminded me of another reason I loved the series - the language of a time and place long gone; the language of magic and prophecy.

Then one line sent that familiar tingle along my spine - that tingle that tells me, 'This is for you':

A final point. Remember what you know about the game of Snakes and Foxes. Remember, and heed.

It is time, and I must do what must be done.


Snakes and foxes...could I remember? I didn't, so I flipped through the glossary, hoping against hope it would be there.

Snakes and Foxes is a children's game that cannot be won without breaking the rules.

Doing the unexpected. Pulling instead of pushing. Breaking the rules.

And sometimes, that means going with the momentum rather than against it. Sometimes, being a rebel is falling into an expected role and obeying the rules, when what you really need to do is break them.

Hmmm. I think I should be on the lookout for the third piece.

And as for the door that key is going to fit, I don't know yet. But I look forward to the search.

In the meantime, I will remember.

Remember, and heed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look forward with a sense of pleasureful anticipation to see how you will win at Snakes and Foxes - your sense of style will make your blog description of the third part of this trio interesting...Rules are made to be broken - and who knows, but seeing how you will have broken whatever rule might well inspire others to think again!