Monday 18 March 2013

An offering for the papal installation: 'Don't fly for me, Argentina', with apologies to ALW and TR

I'm a writer and a talker by nature, but music wins hands down when it comes to times of great emotion.

So here is my offering for the papal installation tomorrow, which I look forward to with great joy and maybe just a touch of cheekiness. From what I've seen of Papa Francis, I think he might approve. As the mass is chock full of glorious music, I would have my humble offering relegated to (one of) the offertory hymn(s).

It is, of course, a nod to His Holiness' request that his Argentinian countrymen not fly over to attend the mass, but remain spiritually close and give the money they would have spent flying to the poor.

Por supuesto, we all know the song it is based on. I've stayed very close to the original, since the emotional tenor was nigh on perfect. In addition, I've had two (waiting on a third) friends who are singers scan it. 

With no further ado, may I present Don't fly for me, Argentina:

It won't be easy
You'll think it strange
When I try to explain why I asked -
That I still need your love
Though I said, ‘Don’t be here’
You won't believe me
All you will see
Is a boy you once knew
Although he's dressed up to the nines -
At sixes and sevens with you

I had to let it happen -
I had to change
Couldn't say ‘No’ to those down at heel
Looking down at my ballot
Listening to the Son
Trusting the Spirit
Frightened of this burden coming my way
But there was no question at all
I take up the Cross for you

Chorus:
Don't fly for me Argentina
The truth is the poor, they need us
O Pastor Ecclesiae
Ever feeding God’s sheep
I’ll keep my promise
Don't keep your distance

And as for fortune and as for fame
Don’t ever invite them in
Though it seems to the world
They are to be desired
They are illusions
They are not the solutions
They promise to be
The answer is here all the time:
G-d loves you, entrusts you to me

Don't fly for me, Argentina

[Chorus]

Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you
But all you have to do
Is look at me to know
That every word is true

[Chorus]