Saturday 27 October 2007

Basmati rice scandal

Tilda has done it - betrayed the South Asian matriarchs.

Basmati in a microwave.

My mother would die. Her mother would kill.

Soaking the rice; cutting the onions; measuring out the water; getting the golden crunchy bottom - every single step was part of a ritual, passed on from mother to daughter.

To end in the MICROWAVE? Never.

"Sanjay is my only son - handsome, loving. Now, of course, he's brought shame on the family."

"What happened?"

"He cooks his basmati rice in the microwave. 48 hours I was in labour with him - for this? TWO MINUTES IN A MICROWAVE? Can a microwave replace a mother?"

Every South Asian mother would rise up against this sacrilege.

As do I. Mine takes at least 11.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Geeta, how could you even refer to this sacrilege???

Anonymous said...

I had to watch this sacrilegious clip again, Geeta. I had to be reminded of those who feel betrayed and the pain they feel...My brother will not even use a microwave...but then his Basmati rice is more like English rice. The shame of it...